“God is not a belief to which you give your assent. God becomes a reality whom you know intimately, meet everyday, one whose strength becomes your strength, whose love, your love. Live this life of the presence of God long enough and when someone asks you, “Do you believe there is a God?” you may find yourself answering, “No, I do not believe there is a God. I know there is a God.”~Ernest Boyer, Jr.

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your might.~Deuteronomy 6:5

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Summer

Well it is fully summer and we are spending every day at the pool, it is the only way I can get my kids to play outside. We are all waaay to dark with bleach blond hair. Our lives have been quiet for the past week, but this week on the other hand is quite busy. We have the 4th celebrations, Caleb's birthday and it seems like something else thrown in there.


On these hot summer days my thoughts have turned to lemons and I have a new favorite I want to share with my fellow lemon lovers. I have always liked lemon bars but they have always been a little to sweet for me, last week I made a Luscious Lemon-Lime Bar that is the perfect tartness with a more creamy texture. The addition of cinnamon in the crust is just yummy!


Luscious Lemon-Lime Bar

For the crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
8 Tbs. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

For the filling:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 TB . finely grated lemon zest I use more because I just love the zest
3 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4cup limeade
3 Tbs. heavy cream
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)


To make the crust, preheat an oven to 350°F.
Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish, preferably glass.
In a food processor, combine the flour, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon.
Pulse briefly until blended.
Add the butter and pulse until the dough forms moist crumbs and sticks together when pinched, about 1 minute. There should be no trace of dryness.
Press the dough into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the prepared baking dish, lightly flouring your fingertips if necessary to prevent them from sticking.
Bake the crust until pale golden, 20 to 22 minutes.
Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the crust cool completely.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.

To make the filling, in a bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, salt and lemon zest. Add the eggs, lemon juice and cream and whisk until just blended.
Carefully pour the mixture over the baked crust.
Bake until the filling is set but still jiggles slightly when the dish is gently shaken, about 20 minutes, or longer if using a metal pan.
Transfer the pan to the wire rack and let cool for about 30 minutes.
Run the tip of a small knife along the inside of the dish to loosen the crust from the sides, then let cool completely.
*Don't be tempted to let these bake any longer or you will loose the creamy texture.
* This recipe doubles easily and trust me you will want to :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh my! I have to do this!! YUM!