“God is not a belief to which you give your assent. God becomes a reality whom you know intimately, meet everyday, one whose strength becomes your strength, whose love, your love. Live this life of the presence of God long enough and when someone asks you, “Do you believe there is a God?” you may find yourself answering, “No, I do not believe there is a God. I know there is a God.”~Ernest Boyer, Jr.

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your might.~Deuteronomy 6:5

Tuesday, March 8, 2011


Happy Fausnaught Day to all my fellow Pennsylvania Dutchmen
What is Fausnaught Day you might ask well only perhaps the most perfect day in the year...Doughnut Day!

I can almost see my mom there in our small kitchen in her red print cotton apron dusted with flour cutting, frying and glazing doughnuts. We always made the classic fausnaught made with mashed potaotes but we also made jelly filled and biegnets. Seeing our little kitchen table covered with fresh fried doughnuts is one of my fondest memories of family and tradition. Of course growing up in the rural south we were the only family celebrating doughnut day but oh how our friends loved when we came around with bags of doughnuts.

Fausnaught day marks the beginning of Lent just as does Fat Tuesday or Strove Tuesday. All 3 days share the common thread of using up all the butter, eggs and flour in a house to for lent which was meant to be a time of fasting, prayer, and bible study in order to prepare ones heart for Easter. Now while we never fasted or celebrated Lent growing up we did always recognize Fausnaught Day.


I guess that's why I'm just a little blue today because for the first year in many I am not making doughnuts! My kids love celebrating Mardi Gras complete with decorations and King Cake of course. I know it's called FAT TUESDAY but we can't handle doughnuts and king cake in the same day! Unless we do fast for the next 40 days...hmmm there's a thought.


Eat a doughnut for me!

No comments: